We’re the Schenk family: Luke, Hazelle, Micah and little Judah.
We’re just your average travel, media, food-lovin’, bi-racial, inter-denominational family living just outside of Vancouver, Canada. We started this blog as a way to share tidbits of our lives and the lessons we’ve learned along the way. Stories here are primarily from my (Hazelle) point of view, though I’ll try to share how things are going from my boys’ (!!!) vantage point as well. We won’t bore you with the everyday minutiae of our lives (holla instastories!), but we’ll tell stories that matter to us as well as tips/advice that we have been frequently asked to share.
So without further ado, here are 5 fun facts for every Schenk Haus member. Thanks for taking the time to drop by!
- I was born and raised in Quezon City (Manila), Philippines.
- My grandparents are my heroes. I lived with them (“dad and mama”) and my aunts and uncle until I was 13 when I moved to Vancouver with my mom and dad.
- I’ve visited 30 countries before I turned 30.
- I’ve touched a sea turtle while snorkelling in the Great Barrier Reef.
- I dislike driving, baking, and too much socializing. Poor introvert in a family of extroverts. Probably has nothing to do with growing up in the worlds most densely populated city.
- Hails from the land of milk (read: snow) and honey (read: oil): Alberta, Canada.
- Lit firecrackers on lava in Guatemala.
- Although his first word was ‘obstetrician’ at age 1, learning new languages is not his gift.
- Once posted on Reddit and received 2.0k upvotes and 141 comments. Never posted again in fear of losing some cred.
- Once whipped his younger brother, Brett, with an Indiana Jones whip his dad brought back from Serbia. Yes, there was blood.
- One of the smiliest kiddos known to man.
- Had the craziest natural mohawk as an infant. The ‘hawk went away after a holiday in the Philippines, no thanks to the humidity (RIP Mohawk. We miss you.)
- Banana addict (‘nanas’)
- Can bust a dance move like nobody’s business.
- Capital E Extrovert. Haven’t yet met someone he hasn’t blown a kiss to.
- Decided to jump start his entrance into the world during family movie night (watching The Lion King, particularly when Simba was singing ‘I just can’t wait to be a king’.)
- The days leading up to his birth were spent in the hospital during Holy Week. We hadn’t picked a middle name yet and at 3am after he was born, it came to me: ‘Cruz’, which means cross in Spanish. Also an homage to his late great-grandfather whose death anniversary it was that day.
- NICU warrior - spent 3 weeks on the inside.
- Prefers being held and cuddled. Meaning mama doesn’t have time to blog when Judah’s awake. ;)
- Was a little tiny 4-lb peanut at birth, but now puts squirrels’ cheeks to shame.